Still with that hint of bohemian and a touch of 90s, this season sees a new take on the familiar off shoulder trend that we love to hate. Emerging with a more refined, sleeker look than its peasant style predecessor, off shoulder pieces are breaking the mould right now with dramatic volume, over sized sleeves and fresh new detailing – all which you can find curated under one roof (or by shopping the over 220,000 products on their online searchable mall) at Westfield.
So whether it be new to try the dramatic new volumes, or learning to layer your pieces for a slightly more demure, versatile look, or just the need for the right bra – this is the one trend that you should give a second, third or forth chance this season.
- Exfoliate! The Off Shoulder trend is the perfect reason to invest in a fresh new exfoliate to refresh those shoulder and decolletage in preparation to go bare. A few of my favourites are the Lush Ocean Salt Scrub, the Stefan Coco Lime Scrub or i whip up a batch of my own using 1 cup of coffee and 2 cups of raw sugar that i then blend with about 3/4 cup of coconut oil. Stored in a jar, this blend works wonders!
2. Play with layers! The only aspect of the off the shoulders trend that can be a little trickier to navigate, is the tendency to look a little overtly sexy for day or corporate wear. My go-to trick is to layer a wide shoulder vest which still leaves a flash of skin, but breaks up the shoulder region with a little extra coverage. For those slightly colder days, layer an off the shoulder knit top (rather than a regular v-neck knit) over a collared shirt, or for a casual look try layering your top under a pair of dungarees or even use to add sleeves to one of your summer shoestring dresses!
3. The wider the brim the better! You all know how I love my hats and this is the perfect trend to team them with. Working to balance the bare shoulders, this tip will not only add a touch of fancy to even the most simple off-the shoulder piece, but more importantly will protect your newly exposed shoulders from harmful rays,
4. Let your most dramatic accessories take center stage! What better to team your newly acquired neckline space with than a dramatic accessory, To amp up the drama even further, stick to those who do not interrupt the contrast between neckline and chest. Such as a choker style necklaces , long drop earrings (if your game, let them drop right now to your collar bone!) or lightly layered short necklaces.
5. Try all the shapes! If this trend is still not appealing to you and your stuck reminiscing about the 90’s all over, then i suggest you try a new shape. The great thing about repetitive trends is that they are always partially reinvented each time. I am loving the volume and fluted sleeves we are seeing this season, both adding a slight point of difference to the trend.
6. Ensure you are comfortable! The main reason many women (in particular curvy women) avoid this trend, or opt only for the cold shoulder look when all they really want to wear is the more dramatic complete off shoulder, is the inability to find a good bra. To take a bit of the pain out of what can be a particularly daunting task, here are a couple of great strapless ones; Berlei Ultimate Comfort (I wear a 14D here), City Chic Strapless Bras (Up to a 20G) or one from the many on offer here.
The most important tip of all if you have tried this style in the past, you would know that they all have a tendency to move as soon as you lift up your arms. This creates the most awkward of moments where your cute top turns into an over sized, unintentional round neck. If this is the reason you have been discouraged in the past, then watch on for the below hack (you can thank me later!).
You can shop the above and thousands of other styles at Westfield online 24/7 here!